Everything you need to know about creating a fine art print on canvas from your photo.
Fine Art Canvas Printing
Printing Your Photo On Canvas
Our Instant Order process makes it easy for you to transform your photo into a work of Fine Art. Your artwork will last for decades to come with your image printed on museum-quality canvas to the highest archival standards in the industry
How to Instant Order a Canvas Print from Your Photo
Based on the layout of your photograph, select which shape canvas best suits your image then select that product from the product options above. We simplified the ordering process for you by separating canvas print products into two orientations, square and rectangular. The rectangular option includes both portrait and landscape dimensions. Click our SHOP Rectangle and SHOP Square buttons above for specific product information and to ORDER your Canvas Print.
We invite you to finish reading this page as it contains many facts relative to your printing options. You might also want to check out our FAQs page with answers to our most asked questions.
NEW: Smartphone Conversion of Your Photo – We’re super excited to announce a brand new service for converting SMARTPHONE PHOTOS into high-quality images suitable for printing. Some of the most endearing images of animals are captured with the camera on our smartphones. We’re happy to say, that working with our partner, ARTZIP, we can now offer our customers the option to use a smartphone photo by converting it to a high-quality 300 dpi image suitable for printing on any of our products. Select Smartphone Conversion from our list of add-on services.
Our Matte Canvas is a 19-mil bright white, consistent poly-cotton blend matte canvas with an acid-free, neutral pH coating. This award-winning Lyve™ Canvas has taken the printmaking industry by storm, with its eye-popping color gamut and Dmax. Internally, our print team refers to this masterful blend of artistry and engineering as “the game-changer” because it helps to capture every nuance in your images.
Stretching & Mounting Your Canvas
You’ve several options for ordering your canvas stretched and mounted, or even unmounted for delivery direct to you. If we are framing and mounting your artwork on canvas, you’ll select UNMOUNTED in your preferred size. Be sure to select Picture Framing Consultation as an add-on service at checkout to take advantage of our Framing and Matting service.
Fade-resistant pigmented inks provide a superior color range to other types of prints. Archival inks are widely preferred in fine art and photography circles.
Instant Order Sizes
Select from 11 sizes with square, portrait, or landscape orientation. Custom sizes up to 40×60 are available to customers using our Concierge service.
- Borderless: When ordered unframed, an extra 2-inch border is added around the size being ordered providing an extra canvas for mounting. Canvas prints that are unmounted or unframed are usually shipped rolled in a sturdy shipping tube. This is the option to choose if you are going to frame and/or frame and mat your fine art canvas print.
- Artboard Regular: Flush-mounted canvas on your choice of an archival white or black artboard. This provides a firm surface for canvas prints and makes them easy to insert into most photo or poster frames. The canvas is printed approximately 1/10 of an inch larger to give the required amount of bleed to ensure a clean borderless mounted canvas.
- Thin Stretch and Mount: The canvas print will be mounted over 3/4-inch thick (depth) stretcher bars. These prints are meant to be inserted into a frame. You can also choose to have the sides a different color than plain white.
- Thin Gallery: The canvas print will be mounted over .75-inch thick (depth) stretcher bars and the image will wrap on the sides with a fraction of an inch around the back. These are usually hung without a frame. This is a great option for smaller prints given as gifts and mementos.
- Thick Gallery: The canvas print will be mounted over 1.5-inch thick (depth) stretcher bars and the image will wrap on the sides with a fraction of an inch around the back. These are usually hung without a frame.
We offer 6 choices for finishing the back of a mounted canvas. White and Black Archival Backing with sawtooth hanger, Professional Taped Backing, Black and White Archival Backing with Wire Hanger, and Professional Taped Backing with Wire Hanger. You’ll find descriptions and pricing for these options on our Square and Rectangular Canvas Product pages.
We have a large (150+) selection of frames and matting in many colors available for framing. Because framing Fine Art is so subjective, and depends on the subject matter, colors, and the space where you plan to hang the framed artwork, we offer our Picture Framing Consultation service as part of our Concierge Service. Using our printing with framing service saves you time and money, so when you receive your artwork all you need to do is hang it and enjoy it.
If you’re an Instant Order customer, follow this procedure when ordering your Canvas Print, select the size and canvas options PLUS add Picture Framing Consultation to your order.
- You’ll receive a 15- 30-minute framing consultation via Zoom
- Next, we’ll provide you with three screenshots showing your photo with different framing options.
- You decide which frame and/or frame matting option you prefer, and we’ll place the order for printing and framing for you.
- Based on the size of your final print and the framing option you select we may refund a portion or all of your $50 framing consultation fee.